Monday, April 27, 2009

The Courtesy Wave is only Dead in Spirit

Over the weekend I was carded at the Inc Lounge at the Time Hotel. One of the girls I was with got grilled about the information on her license because she looks young. [Confession of an un(der)employed JD: This girl was more than legal for me and could legally drink in the US for a few years now. This is not the story of how your Uncle DotCW got arrested.] Before I put my license away I started reviewing the content of my license. At that moment I realized that I've had my license for almost 10 years.

I do a lot of driving. My last car lease gave me 45,000 miles but I wound up driving close to 55,000 miles over those three years. Fortunately I switched cars with the 'rents who used mine for local driving so I can continue my 60-120 mile daily commutes without getting slammed for going over my mile allowance. Yet with all this driving I cannot recall the last time I was the recipient of the courtesy wave.

Take yesterday for example. After riding 24 miles in Central Park, I went to Long Island to mark the first beach day in New York. Because of traffic I took a different route. I'm on the Van Wyck and some old guy in a Chevy Impala cuts me off. I was about one and a half car lengths from the car in front of me but he just shot in there and slammed on his brakes causing me to stop short. Just before cutting me off he was bearing right to go on the Jackie Robinson but then swung left through that painted white triangle by the exit ramp. Next thing I know he's right in front of me.

You would think the old guy would have given me the courtesy, but NO! I can understand the young people (like me), many of whom grew up without a care in the world and everything revolving around them--the card carrying members of the I-society, as I prefer to call them. But this guy was from a different generation, from a time when everyone gave the courtesy wave, a time when you smiled and waved at the guy in the car stopped next to you at a red light because you probably knew him from somewhere (and if not, you still smiled and wave just to be polite) NOT to see who can get through the intersection first. Clearly I was mistaken.

Fast forward to today where I am still trying to bring back the courtesy wave. This may take some time but everyone can do their part. I stand here today to tell you that while the courtesy wave is on life support, this blog is not. With a little help from you, the future can be a bright one. With a little less laziness from me, this blog's future can be just as bright. Let's all do our part to create this wonderful future (and vote for me for _____ in 20__!!!)

[Editor's note: while reading over this post, I noticed a few instances of a blog post reading like a political speech. It is for that reason that I chose to end the post as I did.]

1 comment:

  1. I almost always give the courtesy wave when someone lets me into their lane. I always let ppl who ask nicely for me to let them in, as well. It's how I was raised!

    ReplyDelete