Monday, April 27, 2009

Life's Greatest Mysteries

New York City is the greatest city in the world. Sure it may not have the history of some other cities but moving into the present, this city has the most to offer and is the most important city in the world.

I say this as a biased New Yorker who has lived in Manhattan or no more than 40 minutes away my entire life. I've had the opportunity to see many sides of the city and from many angles. Whether it's just walking around my city and playing tourist (a spectator sport which always involves me mocking actual tourists), peering out from a rooftop or high floor apartment marvelling over the sheer size and beauty, or circling the island on my bike (bicycle, not motorcycle), there's nothing better, especially when it's sunny and in the 70s.

So where am I going with this? Among the marvels of NYC are some mysteries and secrets. There are rumors of an underground city accessible through the subway tunnels. And did you know that the Rockefeller family purchased some land across the Hudson River (in New Jersey) to ensure that the views from northern Manhattan will overlook a park rather than anything else so hideous that it could only come from Jersey?

One mystery which I apparently will never solve is what they are doing with the 59th Street Bridge. To avoid the tolls into Manhattan you can ride this span, also known as the Queensboro Bridge, from Long Island City (which is in Queens, not Long Island) to 59th Street on the east side of Manhattan. For years I've been going this way and notice cables, scaffolding and what looks like some tarp to keep debris from falling onto the roadway of the bridge from the upper portion of steel, cables, and whatnot [Editor's note: whatnot is not an actual construction term].

I've driven across this bridge hundreds of times at all hours yet have never seen anyone working on the bridge. In the last few weeks alone, I've been on the bridge early morning, mid-morning, mid- and late afternoon and early evening and late at night on weekdays and early afternoon and late nights on weekends. Many of those hours are off peak and are suitable for construction work. Yet I've never seen a hard hat, traffic cone, flashing yellow lights, spotlights or that annoying dude with the reflective vest and the orange flag.

Anyone want to take a stab at this one for me? What are they doing and when do they anticipate finishing it?

For more on this bridge, check out the Wikipedia entry here. And remember, if it's on Wikipedia, it has to be true!

2 comments:

  1. There was some construction going on back in January. I think. I could be wrong. But you're right, aside from that maybe-one time, I can't remember the last time I saw hard hats or orange cones. Maybe the city ran out of money?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hate to break it to you but Queens and Brooklyn exist on the island that is named Long Island. Yes, I am well aware that there is a suburbian area of New York City's 5 boroughs that is referred to as 'Long Island' (which is generally considered to be from the Nassau County line going east) but it doesn't change the fact that calling a place in Queens 'Long Island City' is entirely justified. In fact, it was begun as its own city in the mid Late 19th Century. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_City#History Realizing this also helps to explain why the Revolutionary War battle known as the Battle of Brooklyn is also known as the Battle of Long Island - because they're the same place.

    ReplyDelete