Monday, May 4, 2009

I got a wave!!!

The name of this sad excuse for a blog is Death of the Courtesy wave, so it goes to follow that a number of posts relate to the actual courtesy wave. The courtesy wave is actually a metaphor of society as we know it, as depicted in a number of other posts labeled I-Society.

Now that I got that out of the way for the two people who may be confused, back to business. It is with great pleasure that I announce that this past weekend I got the wave!

I was in the city on Sunday with a friend, just minding my own business and out of nowhere, there it was...A hand directed at me with all five fingers extended. [Editor's note: I felt the need to add that last part because I have received a fraction of those fingers on many occasions.] I wish I could tell you what street I was on but unfortunately I got so cought up in the moment that the rest of the details are vague. It's like the opposite of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

And now to burst your collective bubbles...

Yes, the wave was real. Yes, it was in Manhattan. Yes, it was directed towards me. BUT I happened to be on my bicycle at the time (which is allowed) and the person waving to me was also on a bicycle.

I'm not going to get all preachy about being green and riding a bicycle because that is not me at all. On Earth Day I did not go out and get a Prius. I did however tell a bunch of people on the street trying to get me to become greener that they can do their part in cutting back on carbon dioxide (an alleged greenhouse gas) released if they would only stop breathing. Needless to say that while I don't "intentionally" destroy the environment, the vehicle that takes my bicycle to the place I go riding is usually an SUV that gets about 18-19 miles per gallon on the highway.

I'll tell you all about the ride in a later post but the point is that we should all take note of this cyclist's conduct and learn from him. I take part in a number of long distance cycling events and have found cyclists to be the friendliest and most courteous bunch around. This Sunday's event was no exception. Of all the riders on Sunday, I would say that a good 75% of those I encountered signalled to indicate a move they were about to make and then responded with a friendly wave.

Maybe it's because over the years we have learned the necessity to signal so we don't get hit by a car rather than actually being a good person, but whatever the reason, I'll take it. I get a little satisfaction in believing that if they signalled just so they don't get hit by a car, that incentive would no longer exist when there are only bicycles around them, yet they still signal.

Have you ever heard of the rival Cannondale and Schwinn biker gangs?

"I want to ride my bicycle,
I want to ride my bike"
-Queen, Bicycle Race

No comments:

Post a Comment