Monday, May 11, 2009

Tales of an Un(der)employed JD

During this period of un(der)employment, I try to keep myself busy during off hours. In that time I'll take care of some errands, catch up on the news, read some of my favorite blogs, search for jobs and...wait for it...workout (gasp!).

My job search consists of frequent trips to various job boards. I check my law school, job boards specifically geared toward the legal practice, as well giants like Monster and Career Builder. None has proven to be all that fruitful. I can't forget good ol' reliable Craigslist.

On Craigslist, I went from applying to posts only when the one posting the position indicates the firm/company to anything that doesn't look like a 6 year old wrote it. At this point my resume gets around like a ______ (I'll let you fill this one in yourselves).

[Editor's note: If Phillip Markoff reads this blog and somehow obtained my resume, please don't kill me.]

While searching Craigslist, I came across this post which I just had to share with you guys. Since Craigslist deletes old postings, I copied it here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy!

ASSociate Attorney (Midtown West)

Reply to: job-ekpzv-1159642218@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-05-07, 5:25PM EDT

Small, congenial law firm needs top notch associate attorney to join our exceptional team. Please do not apply if you do not meet the following requirmenets:

1. Top half of the class at Harvard, Yale, UPenn, U Michigan, or Georgetown; top 10% at U Chicago, Boalt or UCLA. Top 1% everywhere else.
2. Law review and/or moot court experience a MUST.
3. Federal Clerkship REQUIRED.
4. Must be willing to accept $28,000 per year. $10,000 bonus for billing over 2500 hours a year. The bonus is pro-rata more, so it is worth the extra billing.
5. Must be willing to make coffee every hour, on the hour. The position is open becuase our last associate sustained severe burns from the hot plate in which the coffee post rests. We had to discharge him as he required too much "leave" time.
6. Insurance after two years, with employee contribution at 50%.
7. Must be willing to share a desk with a paralegal. She said you can have the top drawer.
8. Must be in the office by 8am, and remain until 10pm. On Fridays, you can leave by 9:30pm.
9. Must be a team player. Please send resume to the link above.

Good luck- hope to see you soon!
Compensation: $28,000

Original Source: http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/lgl/1159642218.html

"Just killing time watching all of the fads pass by
behind a window in a bar on the Upper East Side,
but I'll wait cuz it's never too late in the race
take a sip with a smile on my face (yeah)"
Brian Desveaux, New Wave

No comments:

Post a Comment