Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ode to Summer

Summer is officially here everybody! Who's excited? I can't hear you. I said, "who's excited?" I could either sit here and retype that exchange until I start hearing actual voices or I can go on with my post. It might make an interesting read for you guys if I went nuts over a blog post and wind up a like a stunt dummy on Harper's Island (if you don't get the reference, only 6 episodes to catch up on).

Most of us probably got out of work early on Friday (myself included) so we can really make the most of the long holiday weekend. I can tell you that here in the NYC area, the weather has been great since early last week. [Editor's note: It may be longer than that but my memory will only go back that far.] I bet your weekend plans are probably very similar to mine and likely involve the 3-B's--beaches, barbecues, and booze. Ironically [Editor's note: there is no actual irony here, but I like the way the word fits] we all tend to forget the real reason we have this long weekend.

Folks, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the start of summer is not an actual holiday. I, for one, has been to the beach about a dozen times already. I don't make a habit of wearing white but if I did, it wouldn't necessarily start now or end on Labor Day. Then again I don't travel with the snooty crowd and go yachting with men in crested blazers and women who wear big hats. Does Memorial Day mean anything anymore?

So while this is the first official day of summer, beaches can now charge us to tan, and we can start wearing white again (but only until Labor Day), please don't forget what's really important. On this memorial day, make a point to remember all those men and women who fought for this country and continue to keep us safe. This year we should also remember that Nancy Pelosi is a threat to national security (but that's another post for another time).

Time for the Z-Man to get his barbecue ready for tonight. Be safe!



1 comment:

  1. Dude, the season known as summer doesn't officially start until June 21.
    This is a yearly thing so I am a little surprised it seems to be news to you.

    ReplyDelete