Tuesday, January 13, 2009

And Now, Some Good News!

After 2 nominess for the Digitus Medius Awards in the last week alone (here and here), I don't want you to think that I am a full time hater. Ok, so I am a full time hater but that just wasn't the direction I wanted to take this blog.

I woke up this morning asking myself if there was some good news or some surprisingly positive story I can report on today. It only took 2 hours to find material for today's post.

As you know, I'm trying to start 3 businesses. They're coming along very slowly. The actual business plans are in the works and so far I bought a laser printer and two pieces of software. Total cost: free after rebates (I'm real good).

One piece of software I ordered online two weeks ago and downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Today I finally got to installing it. Sounds easy, but of course my computer decided to reject the software like a kidney. Now I'm generally very good with computers but this problem just didn't want to go away and the software could not be installed. I wound up calling customer service-GASP!!!

I've had my trouble with customer service in the past. The last thing I wanted was to speak to some guy named George Smith who sports a thick Indian accent. Just my luck, I get a guy with a common American name and a thick South-Asian accent. It turned out that this guy was uber-helpful. He talked me through re-downloading the software (which took 20 minutes on my DSL connection) and stayed with me the whole time, guiding me step by step through the installation.

I still received the same error messages as I did when I installed the software myself but we determined that it was my computer and not the software. This guy even went out of his way to try to talk me through the computer problem--which is not part of his job, but just because he happens to know about computers and not just how to read a customer service manual. He diagnosed the problem but was unable to solve it without gaining access to my PC (yeah, not a chance). Either way, I now know what to do when I fix the computer problem.

So today we salute you, Mr. South-Asian with American name tech support guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment